Have you ever attended a blacklight party and got amazed by the surreal glow of neon colors? Do you want to create a space effect in your home? It’s a simple process and a fun DIY project to do with family and friends.
Whether you want to create a cool ambiance for your room, plan a themed party, or just want to add some color to your world, making a blacklight is an exciting DIY project that anyone can undertake. In this guide, we’ll guide you through the simple process of making a blacklight that will make your color pop like never before.
What is a Blacklight?
A blacklight is a lamp that emits UV light. Blacklights are also called UV-A, ultraviolet, and Wood’s lamps. Almost all of the light of an ideal blacklight should be in the UV portion of the spectrum, with very minimal visible light.
Why is a Black Light Called a “Black” Light?
Although blacklights emit light, UV light isn’t visible to your eyes, so the light is ‘black’ as far as your eyes are concerned. A light that only emits ultraviolet light can leave your room in total darkness. Some blacklights also emit some violet light. This helps you see when the light is on, which helps you avoid over-exposure to ultraviolet light, which can harm your skin and eyes.
Types of Blacklights
Black lights are available in various forms. Blacklights come in fluorescent, incandescent, LED, and mercury vapor technologies. Fluorescent blacklights are the most common. Incandescent lights produce minimal ultraviolet light, which makes them poor blacklights.
Blacklights have several uses. Ultraviolet light can be used to improve the brightness of phosphorescent materials, observe fluorescent dyes, attract insects, cure plastics, illuminate artwork, and promote melanin production (tanning). There are several medical applications of black lights. UV light can be used in diagnosing fungal infections, acne, bacterial infections, ethylene glycol poisoning, melanoma, disinfection, and treatment of neonatal jaundice.
How Black Light Works
When you see black lights glow, phosphors are a chemical that emits visible light when responding to radiation. Phosphors convert the energy from ultraviolet radiation in black lights into a small amount of visible light. The light emitted by black lights is usually UV, which the human eye cannot see. What you see from black lights is the effect it brings by making things like our teeth and shirt glow.
Materials Needed to Make a Black Light
- A Light Source: The most important component you need is a light source. You can use a flashlight or lightbulb. However, you can also use your phone’s LED flash.
- Marker: If you want transparent pieces, you need to have a blue and purple marker to color them.
- Cellophane: You can also color transparent pieces of cellophane using a marker or purchase a cellophane that’s blue and purple.
- Scissors: Scissors will help you remove any extra tape.
- Rubber Bands: To ensure cellophane is in place, use rubber bands before taping.
- Tape: Sellotape will ensure that the cellophane is in place.
- Testing Device: After making the backlight, you need to test if it’s working. A white paper, highlighter, or black poster will work.
Step-By-Step Process of Making a Black Light
- Ensure you have your light source; flashlight, phone, or lightbulb.
- Color the cellophane.
- Slice the cellophane to the size of your light source. You have to ensure that the light source is entirely covered so that no light can pass through it.
- Apply the cellophane pieces and secure them. Use this order: blue, blue, purple. If you have a flashlight, applying the pieces and securing them with rubber bands is quite easy. If you’re making a blacklight with your phone, the tape will help secure the cellophane to the light source.
- It’s now time to test your blacklight. You can use a black poster or a painted plain paper (Black). For outstanding results, you can use fluorescent liquid or highlighter on it.
How to Make a Blacklight Without Sharpies
Use a UV Flashlight
A UV flashlight is one of the most common ways to make a blacklight. This is a simple method that doesn’t need any special tools. You only need a dark room and a UV flashlight. When using this method, turn off the lights in your room and close the blinds or curtains. Then, turn on the UV flashlight and direct it to the ceiling or wall.
The light will reflect on these surfaces and create a blacklight effect. For more outstanding results, you can use stickers or glow-in-the-dark paint to create shapers or patterns that blacklight will illuminate.
Use Neon Paint
Another great way to make blacklight is by using neon paint. You will only need to buy neon paint, simply brush it onto a surface, and then direct your blacklight. Neon paint will glow brightly, offering you a makeshift blacklight. The best thing about neon paint is that it’s easy to remove.
Use Glow in the Dark Paint
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use blacklight, this is the best method. You only need some glow-in-the-dark paint and paint it on a surface in a thin layer. Expose the paint to light for some minutes, then switch off the lights and enjoy the moment. This is a great way to make small blacklights for highlighting specific areas.
Use a Blacklight Bulb
Using a blacklight is one of the easiest ways to make a blacklight. These bulbs are designed to emit ultraviolet light, which creates a blacklight. All you need is to screw the bulb into a light socket and switch it on to enjoy the blacklight.
Use Blacklight Filter on Flashlight
If you’ve a flashlight, you can make a blacklight by adding a blacklight filter. This a simple method that only requires a tape and blacklight filter. Attach the blacklight filter to the front of the flashlight and cover the seams with black electrical tape. This ensures that no light escapes from the sides of the filter. The blacklight is now ready to use.
Making a blacklight is easy and can be done using readily available materials. Follow the simple steps in this guide and make a blacklight that you can show at your next party.